September 12, 2017 4:30 PM Brief - Update and Status of Services
- There will be no curfew in effect tonight.
- All county offices will return to normal operations beginning Wednesday, September 13, 2017, at 8:00 am.
- Public Works:
- Crews are making passes through unincorporated areas; removing obstructions on roadways and assessing damages to roads, bridges, and drainage structures.
- Chatham County Public Works will begin transition from Disaster Response to Disaster Recovery on Thursday, September 14.
- Beginning Thursday, crews will be removing debris in the unincorporated areas.
- Debris removal will be a systematic response through neighborhoods until all storm related debris has been removed.
- Place your storm debris at the curb for collection. Separate vegetative debris from bulk waste.
- Do not place debris on or around utilities such as phone boxes, power poles, and drainage inlets.
- Debris should be placed as close to the roadway as possible, but not in the roadway.
- Loose materials, such as leaves and twigs, must be containerized. Non-containerized material will not be removed.
- Normal, non-critical, functions have been suspended such as roadside mowing, street sweeping, and normal dry trash pick-up.
- Chatham County has not waived rules and restrictions to the curbside collection program.
- The Chevis Road Drop-off Center and the Wilmington Island (Concord Road) Drop-off Center will be open beginning at 8:30 am Wednesday, September 13.
- The Sharon Drop-off Center on Kelly Hill Road will be open beginning at 8:30 am Thursday, September 14.
- Aquatic Center:
- Will remain closed to the public through Wednesday September 13th. The facility will reopen on Thursday September 14, 2017 from 6AM until 8PM.
- Swim lessons, special programs, and water aerobics classes may not be available until next week.
- Please contact the Aquatic Center at 912-652-6793 with questions about specific programs.
Pets that were evacuated will be returned on Wednesday, September 13, 2017,
by 2 PM.
- Owners should contact Chatham County Animal Services at 912-652-6575 to arrange for pick-up.
- Chatham County Animal Services is located at 7211 Sallie Mood Drive.
- Montgomery Street Courthouse and Juvenile Courthouse will open Wednesday September 13th. No jurors will be needed on Wednesday and those with a summons should begin calling the juror line on Wednesday.
Some residents still do not have power.
If residents without power use a grinder pump, it is advised that they not use their bathrooms. Georgia Power has already been contacted and is prioritizing these residents since this poses a health issue.
Residents who have not paid their water bills will be given a one-week grace period. Bills that are due on September 15,, 2017, must be paid by September 22, 2017.
Court scheduled for September 12, 2017, will be rescheduled. Notices with new court dates will be sent to those affected.
Court will be in session on Tuesday, September 26, 2017.
- All water and wastewater systems are functionally normally.
- Waste Management of Savannah will begin collections with Garden City on its normal schedule for both recycling and trash tomorrow, with normal schedules being run all week.
- All city departments to include City Hall will reopen Wednesday September 13, 2017.
- The Garden City Planning Commission meeting scheduled for today, September 12th has been cancelled.
- All court hearings scheduled for Wednesday, September 13th will now be held on Wednesday, September 27th.
- The Garden City Senior Center will resume operations on Thursday, September 14, 2017, at 12PM for lunch.
- Police and Fire are active and responding to calls.
- City Hall will open tomorrow, Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- Municipal court for Wednesday, September 13th has been cancelled.
- Regular trash service schedule will resume on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- Court for September 12th and September 14th has been cancelled.
- Pooler Police Department officers have remained on around the clock hurricane duty since Saturday at 6AM, they spent yesterday and today assessing damage/flooding, downed power lines, and other damage and reporting it to the proper avenues.
- City services are expected to resume at 10:00 am on Wednesday and will operate as usual.
- Residents should call 311 to report debris or schedule pick up.
- The September 14, 2017, City Council meeting will be continued until September 28th.
- Town Hall will reopen Wednesday, September 13, 2017 with limited staff.
- Council meeting has been cancelled for September 13, 2017.
- Court has been cancelled for September 14, 2017
- Garbage and yard debris pickup will start Wednesday at 6AM. Cart placement ordinance will not be in effect during Hurricane Irma clean up.
- Damage assessment teams are active. If you have property damage photos please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 912-856-8939 with location of damage.
- Hwy 80 is open
- Police is fully staffed and patrolling.
- Fire and EMS are running.
- 911 System is functioning.
- Water and sewer systems are fully functional.
- Atlantic Waste will resume garbage and recycle pick up on Thursday, September 14th.
- Atlantic Waste will collect yard debris on Friday, September 15th, and Saturday, September 16th.
- Memorial Hospital is now open for business as usual.
- Candler Hospital emergency room will reopen on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- Hospital services will be phased in as power is restored.
- St. Joseph’s emergency room is open. St. Joseph’s Hospital will be fully operational beginning Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- All health departments and environmental health offices in Chatham County will be closed on Wednesday, September 13, 2017. Public health facilities will reopen as soon as possible.
- Savannah Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS) is expected to reopen for students on Monday, September 18, 2017. Assessments of facilities, food, and support services are being conducted. Staff will be contacted by their supervisors.
- Armstrong State University:
- All classes and special events are cancelled until Monday, September 18.
- Staff are actively assessing facilities and grounds for damage and safety-related issues. Power is out across campus and several large trees are down. Armstrong will not re-open until power is restored and clean-up efforts are completed.
- Pending power being restored, Armstrong will re-open and resume classes on Monday, September 18, 2017, at 8 AM at the main campus in Savannah and at the Liberty Center in Hinesville.
- Residential students may return to the main campus on Friday, September 15th, beginning at 2 PM.
- Faculty and staff can access their offices on Friday, September 15th, starting at 2 PM.
- Georgia Tech Savannah Campus:
- Normal operations will resume on Wednesday, September 13th.
- If your personal situation limits your ability to report to normal work hours on Wednesday, September 13th, please contact appropriate personnel as soon as possible.
- Savannah State University:
- Power has been restored to the campus and the inspection reveals very minor damage in isolated areas of campus.
- Classes will resume on Thursday, September 14, 2017.
- Residential students may begin returning to campus tomorrow, Wednesday, September 13th, at 3:00 pm. If students have challenges returning for classes, they should notify their professors via email.
- Georgia Southern University’s Statesboro campus will be closed and classes will be canceled through Thursday, Sept. 14 and until further notice. Georgia Southern sponsored events are canceled through Thursday, Sept. 14 and until further notice. Coastal Georgia Center is closed through Thursday, Sept. 14 and until further notice. Herty Advanced Materials Development Center is closed through Wednesday, Sept. 13 and until further notice.
America’s Second Harvest is providing hot meals to those who may not have power or resources on Wednesday, September 13th. Interested persons can get a hot meal at the Second Harvest location at 2501 E. President Street beginning tomorrow at 11:30 AM.
If you need assistance as result of Hurricane Irma, call 1-800-TRY-GEMA (1-800-879-4362) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For medical or health related questions, call 1-866-PUB-HLTH (1-866-782-4584).