Billy Joel once again welcomed Kevin Spacey onstage to perform the "Piano Man's" 1976 Turnstiles classic, "New York State Of Mind." Spacey joined Billy onstage on Friday night (April 14th) at Madison Square Garden, bringing the house down as the New Jersey-born actor more than held his own as he traded off vocals with Billy. The pair famously first sang the song together back in 2014 when Billy was saluted in Washington, D.C. with Congress' Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, a performance, which also showcased Spacey's ample harmonica chops.
"New York State Of Mind" has become something of an anthem for New York City since the September 11th terror attacks. Billy said he originally wrote it when Manhattan was in the midst of its fiscal crisis in the mid-'70s and the federal government wouldn't help: "I remember when I wrote the song. It was during the time that New York was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy -- it looked like the city was gonna default -- and the feds basically told New York to drop dead. There was a famous (New York) Daily News headline -- I think it said, 'Ford To New York: Drop Dead' -- and I was living in California at the time. I lived in L.A. for three years, and that was the thing that decided me to go back to New York, because there was a certain amount of, of happiness in the L.A. community that New York was having so many problems."
- Billy Joel tour dates (subject to change):April 28 - Atlanta, GA - SunTrust Park May 13 - Los Angeles, CA - Dodger Stadium May 25 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden Arena June 6 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden Arena June 17 - Green Bay, WI - Lambeau Field July 5 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden ArenaJuly 14 - Cleveland, OH - Progressive Field July 28 - Minneapolis, MN - Target FieldJuly 14 - Cleveland, OH - Progressive Field August 11 - Chicago, IL - Wrigley FieldAugust 21 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden Arena August 30 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park September 9 - Philadelphia, PA - Citizens Bank ParkSeptember 21 - St. Louis, MO - Busch StadiumNovember 3 - Indianapolis, IN - Bankers Life Fieldhouse November 29 - Salt Lake City, UT - Vivint Smart Home ArenaDecember 8 - Portland, OR - Moda Center
DID YOU KNOW???
- "New York State Of Mind" is one of the most important songs in Billy Joel's catalogue. Although his first album for Columbia Records, 1973 Piano Man featured the Top 25 favorite "Piano Man" and turntable hits "Captain Jack" and "The Ballad Of Billy The Kid," the album only got as high as Number 27.
- 1974's Streetlife Serenade topped out at Number 35, with only one track -- "The Entertainer" -- going Top 40 when it peaked at Number 34.
- Although 1976's Turnstiles stiffed at a pathetic Number 122, fellow New York-born labelmate Barbra Streisand covered "New York State Of Mind" on her 1977 Superman album and put Billy Joel on the map as one of the top new songwriters of the decade.
- In 2014, the pair finally recorded the song together on Streisand's 2014 duets collection, Partners.
CHECK IT OUT: Kevin Spacey guesting with Billy Joel on "New York State Of Mind" live on April 14th, 2017 at MSG: