- SCROLL DOWN FOR 2 MORE VIDEOS AND PICS!
5/5/2017 evening update -
- A tornado in Garden City has been confirmed by the National Weather Service-Charleston.
The National Weather Service has released a summary of the survey of the tornado damage in Garden City late Thursday evening.
The tornado has been rated an ef 1… with maximum peak winds at 110 mph.
The path length was estimated at 2.86 miles and the maximum path width was 120 yards.
The tornado formed at 5:50pm 1 mile northwest of the I-16 and 5-16 interchange… and dissipated at 6:00pm over northern Hutchinson Island after passing through the Georgia Ports.
"One of the things it says to me is it's very isolated, and when you have a very isolated area of damage, you figure just how difficult that might be to detect on the radar," said National Weather Service's Ron Morales. "For this particular one, one of the things that are very very concerning is it did not look strong on the radar. It's troubling to us. we are very concerned and we are going to look into why that might have been. These are relatively small areas when you are talking about the size of the earth. Even a three-mile path is a pinpoint on earth," said Ron Morales, National Weather Service.
At least two buildings, including Advanced Auto Parts on Hwy. 80, are a total loss. Several tractor trailers were knocked onto their sides. One man inside his TT cab was injured, but reportedly not badly.
Thankfully, only a few people were hurt and no one was killed. Our radio station sustained minimal damage. The tornado reportedly started right across the parking lot on Alfred St. See photos below...
Advanced Auto Parts took the brunt of the damage. SEE PHOTO GALLERY BELOW!
New: Watch 3 incredible surveillance videos of the storm below!!!
LISTEN to TORNADO EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS plus an update from the CHATHAM COUNTY PIO, all below the photos!
- Catherine Glasby, Chatham County Public Information Officer (Savannah and Garden City are in Chatham County)
- GA State Representative Carl Guilliard, who happened to be right there in his car when the tornado hit
- Keith Hendrix, our Production Director talking about how it affected the talent in the building when the tornado came by as well as the damage across the street
- Andy, a listener with an account of what his son experienced during the tornado.