SAVANNAH, Ga. —
Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department investigators say two teens are likely responsible for setting a puppy on fire inside of a trash can early Saturday morning.
Officers responded to the 600 block of East Lathrop Avenue for a report of a suspicious person in the area at about 1:15 a.m. and they found an 8-10-month-old puppy on burned inside a smoking trash can. The fire was quickly put out and the puppy was taken to an emergency 24-hour veterinarian hospital for treatment.
Dr. Kari Jenkins at Savannah Animal Care said the puppy had plastic from the trash can melted into her fur, along with some skin and fur burns. She also treated the puppy for smoke inhalation. Dr. Jenkins said that the dog rebounding fast because she's a puppy and that the burns are now healing nicely. The puppy is on antibiotics and pain medicine.
The clinic staff is calling the puppy Phoenix, and Dr. Jenkins thinks she is part Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
No arrests have been made but SCMPD officials believe two teens are responsible. If you have any information about this incident, please call CrimeStoppers at (912) 234-2020. It's an anonymous call.