CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - School districts, colleges and businesses are monitoring weather to determine whether they will need to make schedule changes because of Hurricane Michael.
A tropical storm watch is in effect for most of the Lowcountry because of the expected impact of Michael once it makes landfall in Florida Wednesday and then moves toward the Carolinas.
Below you is a list of all current closures for the Lowcountry:
Updated 10/11 11:00 AM
Schools and colleges
- Archway Academy will close both locations on Thurday.
- Beaufort County schools and district offices are closed Thursday.
- Berkeley County schools and district offices will be closed Thursday. All after school day care programs and afterschool activities will also be canceled.
- Charleston County schools and district offices will be closed Thursday. All afterschool activities, sporting events and extended day programs will be cancelled as well.
- College of Charleston has canceled classes for Thursday. All campus activities and campus visits are also cancelled for Thursday. This cancellation affects all classes, labs, meetings and other activities scheduled at the downtown campus (including Harbor Walk and Avery Research Center), North Campus, Grice Marine Lab and the Lowcountry Graduate Center, including those courses taught in the English Language Institute and the Charleston Bridge Program. Only essential personnel will need to report to campus on Thursday.
- Colleton County schools and district offices will be closed Thursday. All afterschool activities, sporting events and extended day programs are canceled.
- The Citadel will be closed tomorrow.
- Dorchester County School District 2 schools and district offices will be closed Thursday. All afterschool activities, sporting events, and extended day programs scheduled for tomorrow are also canceled.
- Dorchester County School District 4 schools and district offices will be closed on Thursday.
- First Baptist School will be closed Thursday.
- Florence County School District 5 will be closed on Thursday.
- Georgetown County schools and facilities will be closed for all students and employees on Thursday. All afterschool activities, sporting events and extended day programs are canceled.
- Lowcountry Regional EMS Council EMS programs will be canceled starting Wednesday. Programs will resume on Monday All clinical rotations are canceled starting Wednesday and may resume on Saturday. The office will be closed starting at 12 p.m. on Wednesday and remain closed until Monday at 9 a.m.
- Mevers School of Excellence has canceled aftercare and after school activities for Wednesday. The school will be closed Thursday.
- MUSC university and dental clinics will be closed Thursday. But the hospital system and normal clinical operations will remain open.
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday. Any changes to Thursday’s normal operating schedule will be announced by 4 p.m. Wednesday. Please monitor the college’s website and social media for any updates.
- Orangeburg County School Districts 3, 4, and 5 will dismiss early on Wednesday and will be closed on Thursday. Schools will operate on a half-day schedule on Wednesday with elementary schools dismissing at 11:30 and high schools dismissing at 12:00. All afterschool activities are cancelled for both Wednesday and Thursday.
- Palmetto Christian Academy will be closed on Thursday.
- Stepping Stones Academy in North Charleston will be closed Thursday.
- Trident Technical College will be closed Thursday
- University School of the Lowcoutry will be closed Thursday
- USC Salkehatchie in Walterboro will cancel classes as of 5 p.m. Wednesday and all day Thursday. Will resume normal operations on Friday.
- Williamsburg Technical College will be closed Thursday
Government offices and agencies
- Berkeley County government offices will be closed Thursday.
- Charleston County government offices will be closed Thursday.
- Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission parks and facilities (with the exception of the campground at James Island County Park) will be closed Thursday
- Charleston County Public Library will close all branches and book drops Thursday. Patrons are asked not to leave items outside the book drops. All fines accrued from late materials that are due during the closure period will be waived.
- Charleston Water System offices will be closed Thur., Oct. 11 due to weather.
- The Disabilities Board of Charleston County will close its administrative offices, the Charleston County Web Center, HASCI and day services on Thursday.
- Dorchester County Administrative Offices and Courts will close at 3 p.m. Wednesday and will remain closed Thursday.
- The Dorchester County Career & Technology Center will be closed on Thursday.
- Dorchester County Detention Center visiting hours have been canceled for Thursday.
- The Dorchester County Library will be closed on Thursday.
- The Dorchester County Planning Commission meeting scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday has been canceled.
- Folly Beach City Hall will close Thursday.
- Folly Beach trash collection is canceled for Thursday.
Businesses and Community events
- The Alley
- Berkeley Industries will be closed Thursday.
- The Children's Museum of the Lowcountry Will Be Closed Beginning Thursday, October 11th.
- The Lowcountry Food Bank will be closed on Thursday, October 11th due to inclement weather
- McDance Studio will be closed Thursday.
- South Carolina Aquarium will be Closed Thursday, October 11th.
- The Yappy Hour dog-friendly event at James Island County Park scheduled for Thursday has been canceled. The Charleston County Parks and Recreation Commission says it will not reschule the event.